If you are in a hurry and just need to find out what the best alkaline water pitcher is, we recommend the Wamery Alkaline Water Pitcher.
I purchased an alkaline water pitcher a few months ago. We instantly noticed a significant difference with the way our tap water smells and tastes once it runs through the pitcher. A few months later, we swear by our pitcher, and I think it has helped us drink more water instead of sugary drinks. Here is what you need to know about the benefits of these pitchers and how to choose the best alkaline water pitcher.
What is Alkaline Water?
The pH scale indicates the acidity level of a liquid or substance. The scale ranges from 0 to 14 and measures the concentration of hydrogen ions in a solution. Seven is a neutral value, while anything lower is acidic and has a high concentration of hydrogen ions. Anything higher than a seven on the pH scale is alkaline.
Water is neutral. Lemon juice is very acidic with a pH of 2, and black coffee is acidic as well with a pH of 5. Examples of alkaline solutions include saltwater with a pH of 8 or bleach with a pH that is somewhere between 13 and 14.
If you are curious about pH and alkaline solutions, I recommend watching this YouTube video from Khan Academy.
What Causes Water to Become Acidic?
Water often becomes acidic as a result of pollution. The chemicals used by water treatment plants can also lower its pH.
There are different scenarios that could cause your tap water to become acidic:
- Your local water supply uses chlorine to disinfect water and kill bacteria. Low levels of chlorine are harmless but can cause your water to become slightly acidic.
- There are metal particles in your water due to local pollution.
- You live in a rural area, and pesticides end up in your local water supply.
- You live in an old home, and metal particles and rust from your plumbing pipes end up in your water.
The good news is that your stomach acids will balance the pH of the water you drink. However, drinking water that is too acidic can damage your teeth and reduce your ability to absorb calcium. It’s possible to develop other more serious health problems if you drink acidic water for years, or if the levels of acidity of your water are extremely high.
Is Alkaline Water a Healthier Option?
There are a lot of claims about alkaline water and alkaline foods online. Some claim that drinking alkaline water or adopting an alkaline diet can slow down aging. Keep in mind that there are no studies that support these claims!
Using an alkaline pitcher is a quick and easy fix if your water is too acidic. It will instantly correct the taste of your water and will prevent damage to your teeth. I highly recommend investing in an alkaline water pitcher if you don’t want to purchase a more expensive water filtration system.
Drinking alkaline solutions can be dangerous to your health if the pH is too high. It’s safe to drink water with a pH that is between 6.5 and 8.5.
How Do Alkaline Water Pitchers Work?
Alkaline water pitchers are portable filtration systems. Once you pour water at the top of the pitcher, it will go through a filter.
The filter will remove the particles that are adding hydrogen ions to your drinking water. Most pitchers use activated carbon to eliminate chemicals like chlorine. Some pitchers have a mechanical filtration stage to remove metal particles.
There are two benefits to filtering your water with an alkaline pitcher. The filter will remove particles that could be hazardous to your health, and it adjusts the pH of your acidic water.
Some pitchers have additional filtration media. You can find pitchers that use mineral beads or similar media to add minerals to your drinking water since other filtration stages can remove beneficial minerals from your water.
What Are the Pros and Cons of Using an Alkaline Water Pitcher?
Alkaline water pitchers are more affordable than other types of filtration systems. They don’t require any installation or modifications to your plumbing system. It’s a portable option that you can use when you go camping or need clean water in your RV.
It’s an effective way of correcting the smell and taste of your drinking water. It reduces exposure to pollutants and reduces the health risks of drinking acidic water. There are additional health benefits if you use a pitcher that remineralizes your water.
I think an alkaline water pitcher is the easiest way of keeping your drinking water within a healthy pH range. You will find that alkaline water feels more refreshing and is more appealing after living with acidic water for a while.
Most pitchers fill up quickly and have a large capacity. You can store drinking water for your family dinner and cool it in the fridge, or fill up your pitcher to have clean water for your coffee or tea. My experience is that it’s a lot easier to stay hydrated and to make healthy beverage choices with an alkaline water pitcher in the house.
The main downside of alkaline water pitchers is that acidic water is still going through your plumbing system. It can damage your plumbing pipes in the long-term. You also have to remember to fill up your pitcher.
Top Five Best Alkaline Water Pitchers
Are you wondering which product is the best alkaline water pitcher? I think these five pitchers are worth considering.
We will be reviewing the following five products:
- OXA Alkaline Water Filter Pitcher
- Seychelle pH20 Alkaline Water Filter Pitcher
- Levoit Water Filter Pitcher
- Wamery Alkaline Water Pitcher
- Naples Natural 108×1 Alkaline Water Filter Pitcher
Price level: $$
Technologies used: Seven-stage filtration, resin, tourmaline, mineral balls, activated carbon.
This alkaline water filter pitcher is a great option for large families with its 2.5-liter capacity. The seven-stage filtration system removes a wide range of pollutants and impurities.
- The filtering media include resin, tourmaline, mineral balls, and activated carbon.
- The seven-stage filtration system removes more impurities than other pitchers.
- The mineral balls add healthy minerals to your drinking water.
- The 2.5-liter capacity is perfect for a family.
- The slim design is ideal for storing the pitcher in your fridge.
- The pitcher uses BPA-free materials.
- You can fill the pitcher without removing the lid.
- The pour spout is convenient and delivers good water flow.
- The pitcher comes with two filters.
- It’s more expensive than other pitchers.
- Some shoppers don’t like the handle of the pitcher.
- There is no information about the filter micron size.
Price level: $$
Technologies used: Adsorption micro-filtration.
I like the transparent and modern design of this water pitcher. The large capacity is convenient, and the manufacturer has a lot of testing information available about this product.
- The pitcher uses two filters to deliver clean water faster.
- The capacity is 8 cups or 64 oz.
- There is an adsorption micro-filtration layer to remove chemicals and metal particles.
- The filter is a great option for removing a wide range of pollutants, including nitrites and asbestos.
- Tests show that the product can increase the pH of your water to 9.5.
- The slim design is ideal for storing the pitcher in your fridge door.
- There is testing information available for different types of pollutants.
- Other pitchers have a larger capacity.
- Some of the testing data is difficult to interpret.
- Water with a pH of 9.5 is outside of the recommended range.
Price level: $
Technologies used: Five-layer filtration system, mechanical filtration, activated carbon, resin.
This convenient and affordable alkaline water pitcher uses a five-layer filter. The spout lid makes the pitcher easy to use, and you can pour more water in the pitcher without removing the lid.
- The pitcher has a capacity of 10 cups of 2.5 liters.
- It uses food-grade BPA-free plastic.
- There is a layer of ion-exchange resin that balances the pH of your water.
- There is a layer of activated carbon that removes chemicals and improves the smell and taste of your water.
- There are two nets that remove sediments and other large particles.
- The electronic indicator will let you know when it’s time to change the cartridge.
- It’s more affordable than other similar pitchers.
- You can adjust the speed of the pitcher. You can select the slow speed for a more thorough filtration process, or use the fast speed if you need clean drinking water right away.
- There is no data about pH levels.
- Using the fast filtration speed will not remove all particles.
Price level: $
Technologies used: Four-stage filtration system, mechanical filtration, activated carbon, resin.
I like this alkaline water pitcher because it increases the pH of your water to a healthy level. The pH of your water will be somewhere 8.5 and 9. The manufacturer has a lot of testing data available, and you will know exactly which pollutants the pitcher can remove.
- The capacity is 2 liters of 8 cups.
- The filter uses a four-stage filtration system.
- There is a timer feature that lets you know when you should change the filter cartridge.
- The filter uses two layers of mechanical filtration to eliminate large particles.
- The activated carbon and ion-exchange resin layers remove chemicals and adjust the pH of the water.
- The large opening makes it easy to pour water in the pitcher.
- The product meets NSF/ANSI 53 certification standards for removing mercury and other metals, and NSF/ANSI 42 standards for filter performance.
- The manufacturer has detailed testing data available. I recommend getting your water tested to determine whether or not this pitcher would remove problematic pollutants.
- The bulky design takes up more space in your fridge.
- The pitcher won’t remineralize your water.
Price level: $$
Technologies used: Six-stage filtration, activated carbon, ion exchange resin.
This modern and compact alkaline water pitcher uses a six-stage filtration system. It has a large capacity and is an ideal option if you want a pitcher that is easy to take apart and clean.
- The pitcher uses activated carbon to remove chemicals and pollutants.
- There is a layer of ion-exchange resin that will increase the pH of your water.
- The replacement cartridges are affordable and easy to find.
- There are three colors to choose from.
- The design is fun and modern.
- There is an LED indicator for the filter status.
- The pitcher uses BPA-free plastic.
- The pitcher has a capacity of 10 cups.
- The water tank isn’t transparent.
- There is no testing data available.
- The manufacturer has limited information available about the filtering system.
After comparing different products, I think the Wamery pitcher is the best alkaline water pitcher. One of the main drawbacks of alkaline water pitchers is that they can increase the pH of your water beyond healthy levels. The Wamery pitcher will increase the pH of your water between 8.5 and 9, which falls within a healthy range.